[Advaita-l] Is Tirupati's Balaji a Buddhist deity (Avalokiteshwara)?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:59:05 EST 2018

TTD publication - History of Tirupati - Abridged  Mohana Krishnan - 2005
p.6:

//When faced with the spread of Buddhism and Jainism, they were faced with
the necessity of postulating a God and a religion that was neither rank
Saivism nor rank Vaishnavism. Tiruvengadamudaiyar was the only true God*
who combines in him all the Murthis* rather the Paravasudeva of the
Pancharatras or the Adi murti of the Vaikhanasas.//

p.7:

//Tirumala as a proper tample took shape during the early years of the 10
Century AD. Popularity is mainly because, *here worship by Saivites and
Vaishnavites both with faith and bhakti went on* when during the same
period there lots of hatred between Saivism and Vishnavism.......people
thronged to pray in this temple treating the lord* as Ishta Devatha *and
asking for whatever each wanted which would be granted by the Deity. People
made pilgrimages to Tirupati to fulfill their vows.//

Srinivasaiyengar in his 'Tami studies' on p.302 says:

//It would be interesting to note here that the god on the Tirupati Hills
(Tiruvengadam) had the appearance of both Siva and Vishnu during the days
of Peyalwar.//

http://www.thehindu.com/2001/05/20/stories/1320017s.htm

// There are differences of opinion whether the deity at Tirumala is
Vishnu, Siva, Sakti or Skanda. Suffice it to say that the various forms,
according to Hinduism, point to the Supreme Brahman and hence it is
pointless to extend this debate as each devotee beholds his Ishtadevata in
the idol and worships the deity as the Kaliyuga Varada who answers the
prayers of all devotees.//

regards
subbu

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 7:43 PM, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l <