[Advaita-l] kshatriya dharma according to manu smriti and its interpretation today?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 11:24:40 EST 2018

Yes Subbu ji thats an important aspect of puNya and pApa.

That is, a foot soldier fighting in the Kaurava army incurs little pApa.
This is generally considered a valid legal defense even in today's
military  dharma.

The Nuremberg trials acquitted most soldiers of the Nazi army who actually
operated the gas chambers which killed the Jewish people in large numbers.
They were only 'following superior orders'.

Superior orders, often known as the Nuremberg defense, lawful orders or by
the German
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language&hl=en-IN&tg=46&tk=9309332883976972469>
phrase Befehl
ist Befehl ("an order is an order"), is a plea
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plea&hl=en-IN&tg=52&tk=9309332883976972469>
in
a court of law that a person—whether a member of the military
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military&hl=en-IN&tg=55&tk=9309332883976972469>
, law enforcement
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement&hl=en-IN&tg=58&tk=9309332883976972469>,
a firefighting
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighting&hl=en-IN&tg=61&tk=9309332883976972469>
force,
or the civilian
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian&hl=en-IN&tg=64&tk=9309332883976972469>
population—not
be held guilty for actions which were ordered by a superior officer
<https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_%28armed_forces%29&hl=en-IN&tg=67&tk=9309332883976972469>
or
an official.

But that still dies not explain how Duryodhana and other policy makers too
got svarga due to absence of cowardice in war. I remember an old quote of
Narada telling an aghast Yudhishthira  who was shocked to see Duryodhan in
svarga that Duryodhana got svarga for showing no cowardice in battle. Thats
the puzzling part - that an adharmik king showing bravery in fighting an
adharmik battle to usurp what does not belong to him, still gets a puNya
phala viz., a taste of svarga on account of merely dying in battle.