[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:22:53 EDT 2018

Hari Om Sadananda ji
You wrote -
the brahmasuutras refererred in the sloka may not be (obviously includes
may be) pertaining to pourusheya Baadaraayana suutras.
Thanks for the post.
Hari Om!Sadananda

On this Subbuji already has clarified that the word brahmasuutra in Geeta
13.4 cannot *realistically* be assumed to refer to the BS of Badarayana.
This does not  require a meemamsik position as you put  it of
veda-nityatvaM etc. Because both BS and BG are pouruSheya texts alone,
anyway.
The problem in assuming that BG refers to BS is

1. If Vyasa first composed MB/Bgeeta and then later as a nyAya Grantham to
do tAtparya niscayam etc., of various scriptures , he composed the BS, then
BG in Krishna's words cannot reference a nonexistent BS.

2. If BS had been composed prior to Gita, then BS cannot reference BG which
it indeed does in some suutras like 1.3.23 and 2.3.45 etc.

And so Sri Shankara does not parse suutra in BG as referring to be and thus
maintains consistency with how he parses the word  suutra in the Br.Up. as
Subbu ji elaborated.

Incidentally, I remember Swami Vivekananda (who in a sense was not exactly
a very orthodox Mahatma) admiring the exegetical consistency across all the
commentaries of Shankara, saying that over 1000 years have passed but no
one has been able to find any internal inconsistency or contradiction in
his commentaries.

Of course one can't convince everyone. Thats the play of maya.

Om

1.  There will be a circularity 19 Jul, 2018, 5:47 PM kuntimaddi sadananda