[Advaita-l] Regarding the Pancharatra, Shankara is one with Purvamimamsa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:42:19 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am not sure what is your point.
>
> Not only sankhya, but other schools of vedanta like bhedabheda,
> dvaita,v-advaita also accept that there are many selves.
>
> What I want to point out here is that there is no unanimity on whether the
> MB (or even Shrutis) are teaching one self or many selves. So I am  not
> sure why sankhya alone is being specially pointed out.

There appear to be many body-mind complexes but not many selves. That is
what the MB, Upanishads teach. Sankhya is only a representative of many
other schools that hold that there are absolutely many selves.  Shankara
alone brought out the clear distinction between the not-self and the self
taught in the MB and the Upanishads.  And that self that is distinct from
the not-self (body mind complex) is only one and not many. There is nothing
that can distinguish one self from another when the not-self is separated.
That is the Vedantic teaching that Shankara brought to the fore.

vs