[Advaita-l] प्रामाणिक बुद्धि एवं विमर्शः - by काव्यकण्ठ गणपति मुनिः

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Mon Jul 23 09:43:16 EDT 2018

Namaste,

A thought provoking lecture by Shri.Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni on literary criticism.

Shri.Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni was invited as “Guest of Honour” and presided the meeting that was held on the
occasion of Silver Jubilee Celebrations of Sri.Krishnadevaraya Andhra Bhasha Nilayam in the year 1927.  This institute is presently in
Koti at Hyderabad.  The celebrations took place on the dates 16, 17 and 18th February 1927.

Shri.Ganapati Muni spoke extempore on various topics related to the objectives of the Andhra Bhasha Nilayam,
Saraswathi Aradhana Vidhi, Veda Swadhyaya, importance of Sanskrit and Telugu Language,
Literary Criticism and appreciation of poetry and literature.  Among such topics, was one on “प्रामाणिक बुद्धि एवं विमर्शः”
[a sort of premeditated thinking towards an authoritative source (a person, scholar etc.) versus criticism].

While speaking on these two aspects, Shri.Muni says that both are diametrically opposite to each other in methodology.

The prAmANika buddhi (प्रामाणिक बुद्धि) is the mindset that induces respect, hero worship towards an author.
His words become आप्त वाक्यं. Thus, results in 'prejudiced mindset'. With this prejudiced mind set, one cannot dare to view his works
critically which is considered to be blasphemy.

To speak in general, we show great respect and devotion towards our ancient scholars. This devotion evokes a “sense of prejudiced mind”
called प्रामाणिक बुद्धि that pushes the critical and analytical skills of the mind to a backseat.  This trend has continued down from ages till date
among several traditional scholars that has left them with intellect sans “critical analysis” (विमशॅ शक्ति).  Even today, our traditional scholars
look ancient scholars, devotees with great respect and awe; whereas; consider the critics to be blasphemous. Whoever tries to point the finger
towards ancient scholars are looked down upon as rebels.  This is due to the fact that we give more importance to
प्रामाणिक बुद्धि (authority) than विमर्शः (criticism) thereby became 'slaves to emotions'.  It is to be noted that except Vedas (shruti), rest all the
literature should be viewed with critical analysis only. Even in Vedas too, one must use our critical analytical skills to tap the inner science and
higher truths hidden in them. We need not become emotional slaves to commentaries and works of ancient scholars.

The problem is that we give an authoritative status to a ancient commentators / authors / scholars even without studying their works, thereby, arriving at an erroneous conclusions without being subject to critical analysis owing to the respect and devotion towards them.

Thus, a healthy literary criticism has taken a back seat in our country.

with regards,
Sriram