[Advaita-l] Buddha confirmed to preexisting social norms of the Vedic society of his time

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 07:20:23 EDT 2018

//I was only observing the insistence of even the earliest Buddhists that the Bodhisattvas could be born only in a brahmana and Kshatriya womb and cannot be in a mixed caste etc. Where is the egalitarianism in this? //

Dear Sri Raghav. Please correct me if I am wrong. I think you are quoting from Lalitavistara sutra, which is a Mahayana sutra. Mahayana emerged around 500 years after Buddha and is by no means qualified to be called as early Buddhism. Once again, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and Regards
Kalyan