[Advaita-l] Core Advaita in the Srimad Bhaagavatam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 01:56:30 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Subbuji - PraNAms
>
> I think there are many slokas in Kapila Geeta and Uddhava Geeta that
> depicts the advaitic nature of the truth. Both are from Bhagavatam.

Dear Sada ji,

What you say above is true. Especially in the Uddhava Geeta we find verses
that resemble Gauda pada kaarikaas.

> I heard that Shankaracharya has not referenced Bhagavatam in his
> bhaashyas.  Some claim that Bhagavatam, although attributed to Vyasa
> Maharshi, came into existence sometime around 10th century.

It is true that Shankaracharya, and even Ramanuja, have not referred to the
Bhagavatam in the Brahma sutra Bhashya. I am not sure about the actual
period when the Bhagavatam was composed. In the Hemadri's commentary that I
have referred to in this post, there is a reference to Shankaracharya's
commentary to the Vishnu Sahasra Nama and I verified it to be true.

regards
subbu