[Advaita-l] SAINT KABIR

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon Mar 26 07:05:02 EDT 2018

Dear Friends,                   Kabirwas a great propagandist in his own way. He tried his level best to bring aboutconcord and harmony among the diversity existing around him. His poetry is fullof criticism of the Mullahs and the priests. Kabir not only preached, but livedthe life of unity of men and creeds. He used his songs as weapons against theMullahs and the priests. He did not spare words in the wars he waged againstMuslim and Hindu orthodoxy. Kabir was a powerful saint with Self-realizationwhich lent him the authority to live and preach the Truth without fear orrestraint.                                                      Thename of Kabir's wife was Loi. Kamal was his son. Dharam Das was his chiefdisciple. Jhali, queen of Chitore, was his royal disciple. Kabir used to livewith his wife in a hut in a solitary place outside the city. He used to feedthe Sadhus or ascetics who went to his place. One day he had nothing. Manyhungry ascetics came to his hut. Kabir was in an agitated condition. His wifesaid, "O Lord, if you permit me, I can get some money from the banker'sson." Kabir said, "How can you get the money from him? He is a verygreat miser." His wife said, "He is very much enamoured of me. Hesaid the other day that he would give me money. Let us take the money and teachhim a very good lesson." Kabir replied, "That is good. Go to himimmediately and bring some money. The ascetics are very hungry. They have nottaken any food for the last three days." Loiwent to the house of the banker and saw his young son. She promised to meet himat night. He at once gave her the money she needed. Loi came back to her hutand handed over the money to her husband. All the Sadhus were fed sumptiously. Therewas a great downpour of rain that night. There was a big storm also. Kabircovered his wife with a blanket and took her on his shoulder, in storm andrain, to the house of the banker. Loi entered the compartment of the banker'sson. Kabir waited outside to take her back home. The young man rejoiced at thesight of Loi. He was quite astonished to see her in his room on such a stormyand rainy night. He said to her, "My dear, how have you managed to come tomy house? You are not drenched. Your feet are quite clean. There is no mud onyour feet. It is a great wonder!" Loi replied, "My husband hascarried me here on his shoulder." The young man was struck with amazementand awe. He became a changed man at once. He wept bitterly and said, "Loi,has your husband brought you to me?" He regarded Loi as his mother and atonce prostrated at her feet. He said to her, "Thou art my mother. Forgiveme for my evil intention." He ran to the place where Kabir was standing.He fell at his feet and cried, "O venerable Guru! I am a great sinner.Purify me. Elevate me. Bless me. I take refuge in thy lotus feet. I am asuppliant before thee. I am thy humble devotee." From that day thebanker's son became one of the faithful devotees of Kabir. Mysteriousare the ways of saints and prophets, by their simple touch and Darshana, theworst sinners and scoundrels become transmuted into great saints. Extreme Rajastakes a Sattvic turn. The passionate young man, the banker's son whose mind wasfilled with Rajas, became a pious and Sattvic man. Oneday, Jahangast, a Mohammedan Fakir who heard of the great fame of Kabir, wentto see him. He was jealous of Kabir. Kabir quickly tied a fat pig at his door.The Fakir saw the pig and did not enter the compound of Kabir's hut. Kabircalled him back and said, "O great Fakir! Why are you running now? I havetied up the unclean pig at my door. But you have tied what is unclean—anger,pride, greed and jealousy—in your heart. The Fakir bent his head down in shame.He asked Kabir's pardon and immediately became his disciple.
DEATH: WhenKabir died, his body was claimed by both the Hindus and the Mohammedans. TheKing of Kashi, with thousands of Hindus, wanted to cremate the body. The Hindusclaimed that Kabir was a Hindu and that therefore his body should be burnt.Bizli Khan, with thousands of Mohammedans, wanted to bury it. TheMohammedans said that Kabir was a Muslim and therefore his body ought to beburied under Mohammedan rites. Whilethey were quarrelling, Kabir's apparition appeared and said, "I wasneither a Hindu nor a Mohammedan. I was both. I was nothing. I was all. Idiscern God in both. There is no Hindu and no Mussalman. To him who is freefrom delusion, Hindu and Mussalman are the same. One voice came in to "Remove the shroud and beholdthe miracle!" Theshroud was removed. A large quantity of flowers was seen under it. Half of theflowers was taken by the king of Kashi and burnt on the bank of holy Ganga.The ashes were then buried and a temple was built. This temple is known by thename of Kabir Chaura—a great place of pilgrimage for the followers of Kabir.The other half of the flowers was taken by the Mohammedans and buried at Mogharwhere Kabir died. A mosque was built over the grave. This is a place ofpilgrimage for the Mohammedans.
Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu    Kameswra