[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 21:18:25 EDT 2018

Kalyan via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

> The form of self in deep sleep is free from ignorance , desire and work 4.3.22.
>
> This is the highest state, the supreme bliss 4.3.32.

> अत्र च एतत् प्रकृतम् — ***अविद्याकामकर्मविनिर्मुक्तमेव तद्रूपम् ***, यत् ***सुषुप्ते*** आत्मनो गृह्यते प्रत्यक्षत इति ; 4.3.22
>
> तत्र च सर्वात्मभावः स्वभावोऽस्य, एवम् ***अविद्याकामकर्मादिसर्वसंसारधर्मसम्बन्धातीतं रूपमस्य, साक्षात् सुषुप्ते गृह्यते*** — इत्येतद्विज्ञापितम्  4.3.34

What we have is a "Super-Scholar" of a tiny portion of exactly one Brihadaranyaka Upanishad passage from 4.3.22-34.

If there is anything that is elucidated in any other location, such as the Introduction to BU 4.3, or the
Mandukya Upanishad Bhashya, or the Upadeshasahasri, we're left with a "Super-Ignoramus" in Deep Sleep :-)

-Kartik