[Advaita-l] Kumarila Bhattas devotion to Shiva Bhagavan

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Nov 13 01:34:22 EST 2018

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Bhaskar YR wrote:

>  And if I am right pUrvamImAmsaka-s do deny the role of karma phala
>  dAta as well!!  Don’t they argue that karma in itself potent enough to
>  give the result without any intermediary source i.e. Ishwara ??  If
>  that is their stand what would be the role of divine source that
>  Kumarila bhatta talking in this particular shloka??  According to them
>  he, the Ishwara, is neither creator nor giver of karma phala then what
>  is his part as per texts??  Not familiar with pUrvamImAmsa texts,
>  hence asking.  Please clarify.

I was wondering the same thing.  This is one subject where Purva
Mimamsa and Uttara Mimamsa (i.e. Vedanta) part company.  But for what
its worth even in Vedanta, Ishvara does not bestow karmaphala on a
personal whim but as a natural consequence of the karma itself.  So karma
is kind of independent for all practical intents and purposes even there.

I intend to see if I can find out more about this topic.