[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Nov 20 03:10:49 EST 2018

praNAms Sri Ravi Kiran prabhuji
Hare Krishna

do you imply that the dream state will be comprised of entirely jnAna vRttis to the exlusion of any prapancha (vishaya) vRtti ?

>  when there is a mention about jnAni's svapna ( Which sri Subbu prabhuji already quoted from br. Up. And bhAshya) which contains prapancha vishaya like being himself the devata, a king,, the whole world etc. there is no doubt that jnAni's svapna vishaya too prApanchika.  So, you can relate these svapna-s to his prArabdha karma, deha dhAraNa, avidyA lesha even after realization.  jnAni's svapna has the sarvAtma bhAva in it whereas ajnAni due to his asarvAtma bhAva would get some other svapna-s like winning, killing, chased by elephants, falling in ditch etc. Therefore we can conclude that continuation of jnAni's individual BMI and its three avastha-s as well.  But bhAshyakAra clarifies that jnAni clearly knows that none of these states is in him.  Ofcourse you would agree that all the three states are only features (deha dharma) of the body and the jnAni too who due to his prArabdha continue to have these functions even after samyak jnana.

Or, in spite of the prapancha vRttis  ( being chased by elephants etc) that so manifests in dream state, such a one knows the mithyatva of it and no identification takes place, because of one's nischaya advaita jnAna attained during waking state?

>  I think 'chasing elephant', winning, killing etc.  dreams have been attributed to ajnAni and jnAni has the different variety of dreams such as sarvAtmabhAva, being himself the God, a king, the whole world etc.  So, jnAni's dream is comparatively more matured and sanctified  than that of ajnAni because of his svarUpa jnana  :-)

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
Bhaskar