[Advaita-l] An urgent query related to 13th day rites

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:28:21 EDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
> I request the learned members of this forum to share any knowledge
> regarding the following question.
>
> What is to be done by a daughter if there are no male relatives to do the
> 13th day ceremony after death?
>
> Is there any option of hiraNya shrAddham by the daughter on the 13th day
> for one who has no male relatives? Or any alternate method which can be
> done by the daughter herself?

She can commission a purohit to officiate to perform the shraddham. In
places like Varanasi, etc. women who have no male offspring engage the
purohit to perform the shraaddham. The purohit does the sankalpa, takes the
darbha grass from the woman and performs the shraaddham on her behalf.

regards
subbu