[Advaita-l] Power of Brahman

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:00:50 EDT 2018

Namaste,
On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 1:18 AM Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you say I know myself, the I and myself in the sentence are not
> Brahman, they are Brahman with the mind as upAdhi.

Then I would argue -- how do "you" know that there is such thing as
"Brahman" to begin with? Since all your knowledge is conditioned by upAdhi,
"Brahman" is quite object of your knowledge. You can't, therefore argue
there is such thing as "shuddha brahman" as subject.

Even if you argue, shruti says so, it won't fly -- because such shruti is
read/heard using the same upAdhi enabled sAkshi and therefore vEdavaidya
knowledge is pure objective.

Dvaita does not have this problem, because they do accept sAkshi is
svaprakAsha and sva-nirvhAka and grasp its own existence just as existence
of all other vastu. It is just like  a cook who serves bhOjana to others
and serves to himself too. He do not need another cook. In that model,
kartu-karma duality is not a problem because sAkshi is saviShESha in nature
and not nirviShEsha as Advaita thinkers wanted it to be.

/sv