[Advaita-l] Power of Brahman

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:46:17 EDT 2018

Namaste

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 4:59 AM Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l <

> Then I would argue -- how do "you" know that there is such thing as
> "Brahman" to begin with? Since all your knowledge is conditioned by upAdhi,
> "Brahman" is quite object of your knowledge. You can't, therefore argue
> there is such thing as "shuddha brahman" as subject.

 There is no 'such' thing as Suddha Brahman. If this means we cannot point
to something and say 'this is Suddha Brahma' you are correct. But Sruti
like a clever mother teaching her child will teach using 'Neti Neti' or
'Nedam Nedam'. Sruti is not teaching by pointing a thing and saying 'this
is Brahma' Idam Brahma. But She is teaching negatively saying 'this is not
Brahma'. When Her child is saying 'this is Brahma' She is saying 'No'. You
can point anything like a God, Gandharva, Yaksha and say 'this is Brahma'.
She will say 'No'.Therefore we children must learn what all we think like
Narayana with form and weapons and so on is not Brahma.

Why She teaches like this? Because She said 'Yato Vacho Nivartante Aprapya
Manasa Saha'. The same Sruti cannot say we cannot imagine in our mind
Brahma and then point something as 'this is Brahma'.

Therefore Adi Sankara has said in Sutra Bhashya 1-1-4 'Nahi Saastram
Idamtayaa Vishayabhootam Brahma Pratipipaadayishati' The Sruti will not
want to describe Brahma as Object and point it as "Idam Brahma'. Brahma
cannot be some Object.

> Even if you argue, shruti says so, it won't fly -- because such shruti is
> read/heard using the same upAdhi enabled sAkshi and therefore vEdavaidya
> knowledge is pure objective.
>
> Dvaita does not have this problem, because they do accept sAkshi is
> svaprakAsha and sva-nirvhAka and grasp its own existence just as existence
> of all other vastu. It is just like  a cook who serves bhOjana to others
> and serves to himself too. He do not need another cook. In that model,
> kartu-karma duality is not a problem because sAkshi is saviShESha in nature
> and not nirviShEsha as Advaita thinkers wanted it to be.
>
> /sv

-Venkatesh