[Advaita-l] Power of Brahman

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:01:48 EDT 2018

Namaste.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:54 AM Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

>  There is no 'such' thing as Suddha Brahman. If this means we cannot point
> to something and say 'this is Suddha Brahma' you are correct. But Sruti
> like a clever mother teaching her child will teach using 'Neti Neti' or
> 'Nedam Nedam'. Sruti is not teaching by pointing a thing and saying 'this
> is Brahma' Idam Brahma.

Shruti already saying "tat Eva paramaM brahma kavInAM" , so?

nEti nEti characterization is to exclude Brahman from all known things and
make Him extraordinary.

> But She is teaching negatively saying 'this is not
> Brahma'. When Her child is saying 'this is Brahma' She is saying 'No'. You
> can point anything like a God, Gandharva, Yaksha and say 'this is Brahma'.
> She will say 'No'.Therefore we children must learn what all we think like
> Narayana with form and weapons and so on is not Brahma.

But shAstra already saying Narayana is "final" gati for the released
"muktanAM parama gatiM", so?

> Why She teaches like this? Because She said 'Yato Vacho Nivartante Aprapya
> Manasa Saha'.i

Again, yatO vAcho characterization is misunderstood. What shruti is saying
Brahman's svarUpa cannot be exhausted by any words/descriptions just as all
description of mEru mountain all short of describing it fully.

If according to you Brahman is not vAchya by any shabda at all, then how do
you know about Brahaman to begin with, as shAstra being only the source to
know Brahman, and that shAstra is indeed shabda in nature. So?

> The same Sruti cannot say we cannot imagine in our mind
> Brahma and then point something as 'this is Brahma'.

As soon as you "imagine" in your upAdhi mind, that is not nirguNa brahman
but apara brahman, which is not fit for jignyAsa. This is again according
to your own paksha, I am not saying so.

/sv