[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 01:48:55 EDT 2019

Raghav ji,

Your post addressed to several of us was not reflecting on the Group. So I
am copying it, along with my response, to the Group.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 10:45 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula <
raghavkumar00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste
> Thank you Subbuji, Venkatraghavan ji for the inputs....and welcome input
> from Chandramouli ji - no intrusion at all .
>
> Again, I am only trying to check the validity of the idea that
> "Jagat brahma statement is not as 'final' or on the same footing as jIva
> brahma"
>  And that while jIvatvam is mithyA is fine; it would be incorrect to say
> jIva is mithyA. When it comes to Jagat, we can safely say jagat is mithyA .

Strctly speaking since Brahman alone is, was and will be, the
adhyasa/kalpana of jivatvam implies the mithyatva of jiva wholesale. Na
nirodho na chotpattih....teaches that the paramarthataa is no creation, no
dissolution, etc. and hence no jiva who is in bondage, later liberated
etc.  Some Acharyas have accepted the mithyatva of jiva itself.

If it is said that jivatvam is mithya and not the jiva, we can also say
'jagattvam' alone is mithya and not the jagat. For, the sattva, chittva and
priyatva obtaining in the jagat is not sublated as these are Brahman; only
the name-form of jagat is negated. Brahman alone appears as the jiva-jagat.
We can also observe that jiva-jagat constitutes the observer-observed
duality.  Since Brahman alone is the substratum of both these, it would be
best to place both these on the same footing for negating using the same
kind of samanadhikaranyam. The Vishnu puranam verse I cited is a fine
example.

regards
subbu