[Advaita-l] Two Advaitic verses with a profound combined purport

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:28:36 EDT 2019

Namaste Bhaskarji

> Yes I too was observing the rarest of rare occasions as you put it. That's
> nice.... :)

The two perspectives are

1. In dRg-dRshya-viveka we have the well-known verse
asti bhAti priyam rUpam nAmam cetyamsha panchakam
Adyatrayam brahmarUpam jagadrupam tato'dvayaM

the word Jagat if restricted to the nAma-rUpa-s as in the above DDV verse
is ontologically given a lower status as mithyA etc. When Jagat itself is
mithyA what to speak of jagattvaM...

If Jagat is taken as Brahman plus nAma-rUpa, then in keeping with
satkAryavAda, we can say jagat brahma by bAdha-sAmAnAdhikaraNyam.

When it comes to words like jIva and Ishvara (being sentient entities), the
jivatvaM and Ishvaratvam are teased out and relegated to mithyA status.
This seems to be more common. Rarely seen explicit statements like Ishvara
or jIva is in totality mithyA .

2. The second perspective -  Subbu ji has cited the verse in which idaM and
ahaM are both put on the same footing as in सकलमिदमहं च वासुदेवः
परमपुमान्परमेश्वरः
स एकः
So jIva and Jagat are put on the same footing here.

Could we say that while teaching the mahAvAkya, the first way of expression
is more common. The step of jagan-mithyAtvam by bAdha leads to mahavAkya
appreciation. While the second way of expression is more like
contemplation/nidhidhyAsanam for one who is already through with the
teaching?