[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Apr 2 07:40:21 EDT 2019

praNAms Sri Rama prabhuji
Hare Krishna

>  Thanks for giving your kind attention to this topic.

I am not sure what you think eka-jIva-vAda is - from the stuff below it seems you think it's some kind of theory that a single jIva is creating something. Assuming that's what you think that's far from what it is.

>  Yes prabhuji, all these days I was thinking on these lines only.  One avidyAvanta jeeva (since there is only one Chaitanya)  through avidyA imagining this jagat and Ishwara.  And as far as I know this is what I read in this list also, srushti is kalpita of the jeeva due to avidyA which is eka rUpa as it is termed as jnAnAbhAva as well.

Please see bhagavatpAda-s commentary to gauDapAda-kArika-s 2.16:

jIvam kalpayate pUrvam.

First of all, pUrvam is not a point in time here.

bAhya-adhyAtmikAnAM bhAvAnAM itaretara nimitta-namittikatayA kalpanAyAM kiM mUlaM iti | ucyate - jIvaM hetu-phalAtmakaM | ahaM karomi, mama sukha-duHkhe ityevaM lakaShaNam | anevamlakShaNa eva, shuddhe Atmani rajjvAmiva sarpa kalpayate pUrvaM |

The understanding is that from the experience of vyavahAra and using the correct means of knowledge, we understand that shruti declares the brahmAtma ekatvam. How is this to be understood then in terms of why we see multiplicity? We understand that there is a superposition of the individual I, which is pUrvaM in the sense of being the root cause, which creates a wrong understanding of inside the self vs outside the self , etc. When this is the case, it  would be silly to imagine that "other" jIva-s (which are themselves a result of the "pUrvam", i.e., superposition of the I) have some extra, special reality. This is what the term eka-jIva-vAda succinctly expresses. When this is understood questions like "What happens to the j~nAni after realization", etc. are equally not valid questions.

>  thanks for this clarification with regard to EJV.  I will keep this in mind.  Me as the only Chaitanya due to anAdi avidyA superimpose the misconception like I (ahamkara) and mine (mamakAra) on ME.   With this superimposed attributes only I will see other jeevas, jagat & Ishwara etc.  When this Chaitanya realizes it's upAdhirahita svarUpa there is no more jeeva, no more jagat, no more Ishwara.  Hence no one is there to ask questions, no one is there to hear answer as well.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar