[Advaita-l] scholarly books on Sankara Advaita History

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Apr 22 02:57:13 EDT 2019

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, michael via Advaita-l wrote:

> History of Early Vedanta Philosophy
> Hajime Nakamura

Some recent scholarship has updated some of the theories expressed in this
book but it is still a good introduction in one volume.

> The Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies, Volume 3: Advaita Vedanta up to Samkara and His Pupils
> Karl H. Potter

I would recommend this one.  Volume 11 also covers Advaita Vedanta from
800 AD - 1200 AD but at this point the controversies were mostly internal
(i.e Bhamati vs Vivarana) or with other types of Vedanta rather than other
darshanas.

A third volume will cover 1200AD - the present but I don't think it has
been published yet.

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

> Dasgupta has not understood Advaita Vedanta.

The problem with Dasguptas work is simply that it is old and there has
been more scholarship since then.  However it is still often cited by
academics.

"The Essential Vedanta: A New Source Book of Advaita Vedanta" by Eliot
Deutsch and Rohit Dalvi (2004, World Wisdom Inc.) is primarily as the name
suggests a sourcebook of excerpts from Advaitic works of all phases of its
history but it does also include interpretations of the historical and
philosophical context.