[Advaita-l] Negating the Five Differences, 'Pancha Bheda-s'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 08:49:28 EDT 2019

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 17:52 Bhaskar YR, <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> In the Vishnu sahasra nama bhashya, Sri Bhagavatpada has cited a large
> number of passages to deny  the five types of differences (that
> non-advaitins, especially Madhvas, admit in absolute terms). These are:
> jiveshvara bheda, jiva-jiva bheda, jiva-jaDa bheda, jaDa-jaDa bheda and
> jaDeshvara bheda.
>
> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Were these, tattva vAda type of pancha bedha-s, existed during the time of
> shankara to refute them in his commentary  ??  I don’t think so.  Anyway,
> please clarify.

Bhaskar ji,

Bheda is not a new concept. In fact Madhvacharyaru has cited a shruti verse
in support if the five bhedas. We have no access to that shruti though.
These bhedas are not special. All of us experience the bhedas in our daily
life. Advaita holds that bheda darshanam is avidyakrutam and atmikatva
Jnanam is the dispeller of this avidya.

Regards
Subbu