[Advaita-l] Negating the Five Differences, 'Pancha Bheda-s'

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 01:58:53 EDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 9:27 AM Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> Bheda is not a new concept. In fact Madhvacharyaru has cited a shruti
> verse in support if the five bhedas. We have no access to that shruti
> though. These bhedas are not special. All of us experience the bhedas in
> our daily life. Advaita holds that bheda darshanam is avidyakrutam and
> atmikatva Jnanam is the dispeller of this avidya.
>

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
>
> Hare Krishna
>
> I was particularly interested to know tattvavAda’s paNcha bedha and its
> refutation in shankara’s commentary.  Not generally accepted dvaita vAdins
> like sAnkhya-yOga and its refutation in shankara bhAshya.

Since you have not read the article that I had attached, you are not able
to appreciate the refutation. Shankara shows shruti/smriti vakya-s for the
refutation of all the types of bheda-s. Of course, he does not name each of
the bheda-s but names just two: jiveshvara bheda and jiva-jiva bheda by
implication. The other types of bheda-s get negated by the various vakya-s
he cites.

regards
subbu