[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} suggestions?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 21:46:16 EDT 2019

Just for information.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'Vishal Agarwal' via भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत् <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} suggestions?
To: <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>

Namaskar,

Here are some pointers towards the literature already available.

I. UPANISHADS

The books that compare various commentaries verse for verse for Upanishads
are typically out of print. For instance, the two volumes on the three
Atharvana Upanishads by J K  Dave by BVB, and their volume on Isha and Kena
Up as well by Gajendragadkar which was recently reprinted and is available
from Amazon. For various Upanishads, here are some references (English
works only as requested):

1. The Ten Classical Upanisads, vol I (Isa and Kena) by P B Gajendragadkar.
BVB 1981

2. Thirteen Principal Upanisads vol II (Mandukya with Karikas) by
Jayantkrishna Dave, BVB 1990. He adds comments from modern works by
Karmakar and Bhattacharya but ignores the traditional Vishishtadvaita and
Dvaita commentaries on the Upanishad + Agama Prakarana. Even for Advaita,
Anandagiri and other subcommentators are ignored.

3. Thirteen Principal Upanisads vol I (Prasna and Mundaka Upanisads). BVB
1988

4. For Mahanarayana Upanishad, a comparison of Sayana and Bhattabhaskara
here and there in Swami Vimalananda's translation (R K Mission)

5. A Critical Study of the Kausitaki Brahmana Upanisad with its Available
Commentaries. S R Matha. Sri Venkateswara University (Tirupati) 1999

6. For Ishavasya, another useful (though with a Vishishtadvaita bias) is
Isavasyopanishad Bhashya by Sri Vedanta Desika criticall edited with intro,
trans and notes by K C Varadachari. Vedanta Desika Research Society
(Madras), 1975

7. There is another similar volume on Taittiriya Upanishad too - will need
to dig out the reference.

I am not aware of similar comparative studies (except in a summary manner)
of different Bhashyas verse by verse or para by para for Chh Up, Ait, Brh
Up, Shv Up etc and of course there will be none for Mait Up. For summary
studies comparing the three major Vedantic traditions, there are three
volumes covering the Prasthanatrayi but with a Vishishtadvaita Bias.
Likewise, there are volumes covering Upanishads and Gita from a Dvaita
bias. I am not including similar works on the Brahmasutras as there are
plenty (B N Sharma and so on).

II. GITA
1. Bhagavad Gita, an exegetical commentary by Robert Minor, South Asia
Books: Out of Print. Covers the three main Bhashyas and Shridharaswami
along with a host of western commentators and modern Indian commentators.
In my opinion, Minor gives too much space to trivial modern interpretations
and often his arguments for accepting one traditional interpretation over
the other are not very sound. He gives the variants from Bhaskara relying
on Buitenen's work but does not really refer to Bhaskara's interpretations.

2. Geetarnava Ratnamala 1989. V Srinivasan (New Delhi). This is rare and
out of print and the only reason I have a hard copy is that the Ashram has
a branch here in Minnesota. In my opinion, this is the most comprehensive
compilation of comments from various commentaries under each verse in very
brief, leaving out totally sampradaya specific arguments. He covers all the
Vedantacharya commentaries, their subcommentaries, and many other works -
old and modern. The quotes are random, meaning that each verse does not
reproduce the interpretation from each and every commentator but only those
that the compiler felt were important to him in English.

3. Six volumes by Steven Tsoukalas published by Edwin Mellen Press,
Lewiston (NY) from 2007-2015. They give a detailed interlinear translation
frequently referring to Shankara, Ramanuja, Madhva under most of the
verses. Among modern commentators, he refers to Davies, Douglas Hill,
Minor, Bhaktivedanta and sometimes a few others. There is extensive
grammatical analysis and padachheda for each and every verse. Gives
variants from Kashmirian text, Bhaskara and sometimes discusses them. But
skips other traditional commentaries altogether These volumes are
ridiculously expensive (over $1000 for the set) and very few US libraries
even carry even individual volumes (let alone the entire set). This
particular set would meet the requirements of the request very closely for
the Gita.

Then of course there are numerous works on the Gita like Word Indices (I
have 3 with me), Gita's grammar (I have two with me) and so on but I will
not list them here.

Regards,

Vishal Agarwal

On Monday, April 22, 2019, 6:38:08 AM PDT, Nagaraj Paturi <