[Advaita-l] Can Vishnu Sahasranama stotram be chanted after sunset?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Aug 13 02:49:48 EDT 2019

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I had one more question. Can we say Nakshatra Sukta in the day time?
Nakshatras are not visible in day time. Should we chant Nakshatra Mantras in the night only?

>  When we are doing the nakshatra shanti like dhanishtAdi paNchaka, mUlAnakshatra janana shanti, tripAdi nakshatra maraNa shanti, janma nakshatra janana shanti  etc. we do the shanti karma during day time only.  And nakshatra sUkta is part of udaka shanti mantra-s as well, we do chant this mantra being the part of the udaka shanti.  Normally we chant US mantra-s during evening / night time only as a part of saMskAra but in US we have bhAgya sUkta (which is popularly known as prAtaH sUkta) and  mantra-s related to sUrya (udyutyaM jAta vedasaM devaM vahaNti ketavaH etc. as yajurvedeeya saura sUkta)  etc. So, I don’t think nakshatra sUkta to be chanted only at night times.

What about Nava Graha Mantras? Except Aditya all Grahas are fully visible in the night only or before sunrise or after sunset.

> Like above, the mantra-s pertaining to graha-s being chanted as a part of vedic ritual.  Navagraha shanti, sandhi shanti (shukrAditya, kuja-rAhu sandhi shanti etc. )we do at day time only and we do chant these mantra-s and do japa of these mantra-s in day time only.  BTW adhidevata - pratyadhidevata-s are different for different graha-s, for sUrya graha agni and rudra are adhi & pratyadhi devata-s.  We do the AvAhana to corresponding dhAnya, kalasha, yantra & mandala during day time only without bothering whether it is visible or not during day time 😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar