[Advaita-l] asat & asatya / sat & satya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 21:23:22 EDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hari Om V Subramanian ji,
>
> 1. Is asatya also sat? Table is asatya. Is it sat?

Asatya as mithya vastu is also ultimately Sat, Brahman, since it is
superimposed on that adhishThanam. So too the table. It is a case of
'baadhaayaam saamaanaadhikaranyam' as taught in the BGB brahmaarpanam
verse.

> 2. Are sat and satya synonyms?

In the Taittiriya Bhashya I have cited, yes. But in specific contexts, they
may not be used as synonyms. We can say 'sad vidyaa leads to liberation.'
We can also say 'the knowledge of what is Satyam, that is Brahman, leads to
liberation.'

warm regards
subbu