[Advaita-l] asat & asatya / sat & satya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Aug 22 02:36:14 EDT 2019

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

> Hari Om V Subramanian ji,
>
> 1. Is asatya also sat? Table is asatya. Is it sat?

Asatya as mithya vastu is also ultimately Sat, Brahman, since it is superimposed on that adhishThanam. So too the table. It is a case of 'baadhaayaam saamaanaadhikaranyam' as taught in the BGB brahmaarpanam verse.

>  Are you familiar with Sri paramAnanda bhArati works Sri Subbu prabhuji??  What I understand from that whatsapp discussion is that, asatya (the changing one)  is NOT mithya but asat (non-existent) is mithyA.  mithyA / asat is atyanta abhAva like shasha vishANa, whereas asatya is NOT mithyA / asat hence jagat is NOT asat / mithyA but it is asatya, the changing one, the changing one (asatya)  has the adhishtAnaM satya ( un-changing one).  So, as per this, asatya is NOT mithya vastu it is the changing existent vastu something equal to mAya.

> 2. Are sat and satya synonyms?

In the Taittiriya Bhashya I have cited, yes. But in specific contexts, they may not be used as synonyms. We can say 'sad vidyaa leads to liberation.'
We can also say 'the knowledge of what is Satyam, that is Brahman, leads to liberation.'

>  I have asked exactly the same question in that group and with an addition whether asat and asatya are synonyms.  The answer I got is following :

(a) sat = existence
(b) asat = non-existence
(c) satya = the unchanging one
(d) asatya = the changing one.

>  One of the member clarified, all four are different and used differently in different context by bhAshyakAra.  Somehow, I could able to understand the different between asat and asatya but failed to understand the difference between sat and satya/m.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar