[Advaita-l] Bhaagavata khandanam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 06:33:27 EST 2019

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 4:42 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Jaldhar ji
> I have read that not only Sri Shankara but also Sri Ramanuja has not quoted
> a single reference from the Srimad-bhagavatam.
>
> Two major Acharya's before 1100 AD have made no mention whatsoever. The
> latter particularly would have found many agreeable Vaishnava ideas there
> to substantiate his viewpoint.
>

> One related bit of information - Swami Tapasyananda of RK Mission in his
> long introduction to his English translation of the srimad (Krishna)
> bhagavatam writes that a post-Ramanuja (i e., post 11th century ) southern
> Indian author composed it.  He suggests that the nucleus of the tenth canto
> describing the life of Krishna is much older. But the extant version of the
> text is most likely to be post-Ramanuja. This is just fyi.

Raghav ji,

I also saw an opinion,  in Quora or Stack Exchange site,  I think by the
above Swamiji ( I may be wrong), that Ramanuja did not find the (Vaishnava)
Bhagavatam to his favour as this work had a great dose of Hari-Hara,
Trimurti-abheda, Shiva Supremacy, etc. and for this reason ignored it. A
Srivaishnava of present times also told me that their early Acharyas have
not seen this text as favoring them, though this opinion is debatable.

regards
subbu