[Advaita-l] How do you explain this?

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 07:25:08 EST 2019

Subbuji - PraNAms
Beautiful and thanks for the more contemplative response.
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Saturday, January 19, 2019, 4:30:14 PM GMT+5:30, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:

 Sada ji,
I shall re-state the four types as follows:
Drk is of four types:
1. With mAyA as upAdhi, Brahman becomes the dRk  - When we contemplate 'I am Brahman, this whole world is a manifestation/projection of Chit, Pure Consciousness, I have imagined this whole universe due to the avidya made of three gunas.' [This is the second verse of Manisha Panchakam]. Here, the 'i" is nirguna brahman. This contemplation is useful for realizing the Truth. This line is sung from the Jnani's standpoint.  I am the Drk and everything else is drshyam.
2. With mAya as avaccheda, Ishwara is dRk.:  Here, Ishwara is the sarva jagat saakshi. He is the witness of everything in creation. He does not need to realize anything for he is not a sadhaka; he is admitted to be Jnani. However, he is the sarvadaa sarva saakshi. When Kanakadasa (or any other) said in that story 'I did not find any place where I am not being observed' and hence I came back without eating the plantain.' it is this Ishwara who is the sarva loka saakshi that is meant. Here, Ishwara is the dRk and the entire creation is drshyam.
3. With avidya as upAdhi (I assume this), kUTashtha is dRk.   Here, the kUTastha is the antahkarana saakshi. Each jiva has this kutastha in him and his mental transformations such as sukha, sankalpa, samshaya, etc. are revealed to him by this kutastha. This is useful to the jiva, sadhaka, to dissociate himself from the body-mind identification and posit himself as the kutastha, witnessing consciousness, of his mind. Here, kutastha is sakshi and the antahkarana is drshyam. Through the antahkaranam the entire creation is drshyam for the jiva.
4. With avidya as avaccheda, jiva is dRk.   Here the dRk is the pramAtru. The pramAtru, the entity who is identified with the mind, body, organs, says, I am the doer, knower, seer, hearer, sukhi, duhkhi, samsari, etc.   Shankara talks about him in the adhyasa bhashya. Pramatru here is the drk and all the dehendriya vyaapaara anubhava is the drshyam.
I think this will be useful in explaining the four types consistently.  It is only your further probing that prompted me to think and write the above. Thanks.
subbu
All this four-fold difference is only aupAdhika and not real.