[Advaita-l] Drishti-srishti alluded to by Shankara

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jul 11 07:00:07 EDT 2019

"In deep sleep it becomes transparent like water, the witness,  one and without a second. ..''

When, however, that ignorance which presents things other than the self is at rest, in that state of profound sleep, there being nothing separated from the self by ignorance

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I think we have to take these statements of shruti about self with a pinch of salt or it is mere arthavAda or unnecessary eulogy   !!!  because according to mAndUkya's 6th mantra interpreted by vyAkhyAnakAra-s  the prAjna in sushupti is NOT one without second brahma but it is kArya brahma, he is not transparent clean water but tainted with mUlAvidyA or kAraNAvidyA or bhAva rUpa avidyA which is again NOT jnAnAbhAva.  kArika and bhAshya bhAga too at some places support this view point that tureeya is the avasthA which is completely free from any sort of avidyA.  So, there is something which exists in sushupti which is avaraNAtmaka or whatever it is apart from self.

Again, not for any debate but presenting another way of looking at the sushuptAvastha.  Veda aveda, deva adeva etc. have been attributed to this state but still we have sOpAdhika kArya brahma according to 6th mantra of mAndUkya in sushupti.  So, we have to understand these statements in line with dictum of mAndUkya's 6th mantra.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar