[Advaita-l] Mantra Japa during grahana.

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jul 17 05:19:35 EDT 2019

This is interesting. Were the temple doors merely kept open for entry for
japam during grahaNam or was the sanctum sanctum too open? I suppose
sanctum is closed as is usually done and only temple main doors open?

This is a welcome precedent if I understand it correctly.

General Practice of the many temples in India except few is that they will be closed during the Grahana Kala due to the fact that the sanctum may get the negative energy  or Malina of the temple could be possible and every one including the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) will do the suddhi Karan of the whole temple after the grahana period is over.

The exception of the temple for this tradition, which i know well is one of the pachabhuta Linga i.e Sri Kala Hastieswara temples, KalaHasti nearer to Tirupati of Andhra pradesh

 I suppose sanctum is closed as is usually done and only temple main doors open?

EXEMPTION: Kalahasti temple was never closed of any Grahana Kala till now out of many thousand years.

During the time of eclipse, the temple performed Abhishekam to Srikalahasteeswara Swamy besides continuing Rahu Kethu pujas for devotees Those having some ‘dosham’ in their ‘Jataka’ visit the temple at the time of eclipse and worship Lord Siva and Gnana Prasunamba Ammavaru after performing Rahu Ketu Puja  which is very auspicious & efficous to remove RAHU/KETU Grastha SARPA NIVARANA DOSHA.

The reason for this was drawn from mythology wherein the idol of Lord Shiva at this temple was having all the 27 Nakshatras (stars) and 9 Rashis in his kavacham thereby controls entire solar system. Speaking to The Hans India, one of the temple priests Ardhagiri Durga Sharma said, “Basically Sri Kalahasti temple is called as Rahu Kethu kshethram. Both Rahu and Kethu were with Swamy and Amaavaru. According to mythology, a five-headed serpent called Kethu adorns the head of Lord Shiva whereas a single headed serpent called Rahu in the form of an ornament finds place as the waist belt (Vaddanam) of Ammavaru.

Hence the ill/negative effects of eclipse not to be felt in this temple. There was a belief that eclipses occur when Rahu and Kethu swallow the sun and moon which results in solar or lunar eclipses. But here, both Rahu and Kethu were worshipped and there will not be any evil effects on the temple, it was believed that Those having doshas prefer to perform Rahu Ketu puja here especially during eclipse to get rid of evil effects. People from other states  visit the temple during this time. As all other temples will be closed,  visit the temple only after making ‘Head bath’ after eclipse was the denizens of Sri Kalahasti visit the temple.

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara