[Advaita-l] Shankara's opinion about Sannyasa for a Kshatriya

sreenivasa murthy narayana145 at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jun 1 07:41:39 EDT 2019

 Dear friends,    Such  ideas  as  quoted  by Sri Subramanian  and Sri Sudhanshu Shekar
are  no longer valid in this century .
They  were  ok   for   the   period   when   they   were  made.
Atma  is  not  the  essence  of  Brahmins  only.
Sruti  says  Atmata  Eva  idagaM  sarvaM || Chandogya 7-26-1
and   atmaivEdagaM  sarvam ||   Chandogya 7-25-2.Atman  is  the   essence  of  all  and  everything.Whoever  has  the  sincere  longing  for  Atmajnana  is
an  adhikari , irrespective  of  caste  creed,  religion  or  sex.
They  need  not wear  the  ochre  robe.To  be  an  Atmajnani  is  the  birth  right  of  every  human  being.
With respectful  namaskars,Sreenivasa Murthy

    On Saturday, 1 June, 2019, 11:22:11 am IST, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 10:57 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hari Om V Subrahmanian ji,
>
> Acharya is quite explicit in this regard and there is no need for
> inference whatsoever. In Brihad Aranyak 4.5.15, he says - न हि
> क्षत्त्रियवैश्ययोः पारिव्राज्यप्रतिपत्तिरस्ति ; तथा ‘मन्त्रैर्यस्योदितो
> विधिः’ (मनु. २ । १६) ‘ऐकाश्रम्यं त्वाचार्याः’ (गौ. ध. १ । ३ । ३५)
> इत्येवमादीनां क्षत्त्रियवैश्यापेक्षत्वम्।

Yes, we have such clear statements.  In Mundaka Bhashya 1.2.12:  For the
mantra: परीक्ष्य लोकान्कर्मचितान्ब्राह्मणो निर्वेदमायान्नास्त्यकृतः कृतेन ।
where the word 'brahmana' occurs, Shankara says:

ब्राह्मणः, ब्राह्मणस्यैव विशेषतोऽधिकारः सर्वत्यागेन ब्रह्मविद्यायामिति
ब्राह्मणग्रहणम्

The mantra uses the word Brahmana since such a one alone has the adhikara
to renounce everything and engage in Brahmavidya.

regards
subbu