[Advaita-l] WHAT AM "I"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 03:31:22 EDT 2019

In this shloka of the Shatashloki, Shankaracharya says:

http://indiafacts.org/bhakti-brings-happiness-discourse-jagadguru-sri-abhinava-vidyatirtha-mahaswamiji/

What is that *thing* which one truly loves? He has said – It is that
ātmākhyavastu, the Atman, one’s own self. This Atman, the “I”, alone is the
object of one’s supreme love, always, it is the paramapremāspada.  In and
through whatever things one may love, one may desire for, it is not really
those things which are loved, but only oneself. We may think that we love
our children, but we love them only because doing so gives us happiness.
Bhagavatpaada has said:

यास्माद्यावत्प्रियं स्यादिह हि विषयतस्तावदास्मिन्प्रियत्वं ।
यावद्दुःखं च यस्माद्भवति खलु ततस्तावदेवाप्रियत्वम् ॥
नैकस्मिन्सर्वकालेस्त्युभयमपि कदाप्यप्रियोऽपि प्रियः
स्यात्प्रेयानप्याप्रियो वा सततमपि यतः प्रेय* आत्माख्यवस्तु* ॥१०॥

regards
subbu