[Advaita-l] A beautiful story is told about a great mystic, Nagarjuna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 12 06:27:38 EDT 2019

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Since it is not about vedAnta, I hope I could get the clarification from you about this story.  Well, watching the breathing is the technique adopted to improve our concentration (dhAraNa / ekAgrata), Swamy Vivekananda also suggested this method for improving concentration but not able to understand who it can be an effective tool to get vairAgya?? For getting vairAgya nityAnitya vastu viveka is not required??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

Nagarjuna said, "If you want that silence, that peace, that bliss, that arises in you when you watch your breath, then choose that. If you think all those diamonds and gold and silver is more valuable, then choose that.
That is for you to choose! Who am I to interfere in your life?"

The man said, "I cannot choose to be unconscious again. I have never known such moments. Accept me as one of your disciples, initiate me."

Nagarjuna said, "I have initiated you already."

Inspirational Stories

Religion is based on morality & meditation. It is rooted in character & in consciousness.

N.B: Shankara, in the BSB, has expressed a word of praise for the vairagya content in Buddhism. Shankara's famous policy-statement: paramatam apratishiddham anumatam [that  which is not contradictory to Vedanta in the opponent schools is admitted by us and not refuted