[Advaita-l] A beautiful story is told about a great mystic, Nagarjuna

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 06:45:24 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> Since it is not about vedAnta, I hope I could get the clarification from
> you about this story.  Well, watching the breathing is the technique
> adopted to improve our concentration (dhAraNa / ekAgrata), Swamy
> Vivekananda also suggested this method for improving concentration but not
> able to understand who it can be an effective tool to get vairAgya?? For
> getting vairAgya nityAnitya vastu viveka is not required??

What you say is true. This practice will effectively aid  the cultivation
of vairagya. It is like 'out of sight, out of mind', and for the time one
is intensely given to the watching of breath, his mind will not wander
elsewhere. To the extent of warding off unwanted thoughts during the
practice, it will help cultivation of vairagya.

regards
subbu