[Advaita-l] On the need for the jivanmukta to "act"

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Mar 8 07:16:09 EST 2019

praNAms Sri ChandramouLi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Perhaps you may not agree with me and Sri Jaldhar prabhuji may share his thoughts as well.  In the meantime kindly allow me to share my thoughts :

<< Because the worlds themselves are also Brahman.  There is nothing that is not Brahman.  So the process of realizing the self is not a subtractive but an additive one. In other words the goal is not to destroy the world-appearance but to encompass and extend it >>,

Perhaps not exactly. Worlds  experienced  as निरुपाधिकभ्रान्ति  (nirupAdhikabhrAnti ) (prior to Realization)  appears as सोपाधिकभ्रा॔ति
(sOpAdhikabhrAnti) on Realization, involving two “entities” namely the नामरूपात्मक (nAmarUpAtmaka)  world and Brahman.

>  You mean to say 'after' realization there will be two entities namely world and brahman ( sOpAdhika bhrAnti) ??  If yes, then I am not sure what exactly the meaning of 'realization' in this context of your statement when still bhrAnti holds sway.  OTOH, bhAshyakAra quite categoricaly says : pUrvaM avidyayA asarva Asit punaH vidyayA avidyApanaye sarvO bhavati.  In short, that which is anAtma, asarva prior to realization becomes AtmaikatvaM, asarvaM bhavati sarvaM.  So,

On Realization, the नामरूपात्मक (nAmarUpAtmaka) aspect constituting the worlds is rejected (destroyed, cognitively)

>  No, nAmarUpAtmaka aspect of worlds will not be rejected it has been embraced as sarvaM and it is no more asarvaM as clarified by Sri Jaldhar prabhuji, it is not a subtractive (rejection) but an all-encompassing  paripUrNa drushti or AtmaikatvaM, dvandva rahita saMyak drushti.  After realizing ring, bangle nothing but gold, we donot reject ring, bangle, we reject (deny) the  'separate' existence of ring and bangle apart from gold and accept them as gold only. sarvaM cha nAmarUpAdi sadAtmanaiva satyaM vikArajAtaM 'svatastu' anrutameva.  Further bhAshyakAra clarifies : kArAkArOpi kAraNasya AtmabhUta eva anAtmabhUtasya anArabhatvAt.  Just we cannot have the ring, bangle nAma rUpa when there is no gold in it.

 leaving (cognitively) ONLY the अस्तिभातिप्रिया (astibhAtipriyA) aspect pertaining to Brahman.

>  when there is acceptance there is astitvaM (existence / satyatvaM) where is the question of sOpAdhika bhrAnti in realization ??  Kindly elaborate.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar