[Advaita-l] Prakriti - Vishnu's mother as also His consort

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:04:18 EDT 2019

Here is yet another instance of a text speaking of Lakshmi being the
creatrix of Vishnu (Trimurti-s):

In the Lakshminarayana samhita, a text brought to my notice by a Madhva
scholar friend, is a stuti addressed to Lakshmi-Lalita:

https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_devii/mahAlakshmIlalitAstotra.html?lang=sa

A sample from the above stotram:

सर्वशक्त्यै सर्वधात्र्यै महालक्ष्म्यै नमो नमः ।

या ससर्ज विराजं च ततोऽजं विष्णुमीश्वरम् ॥ १४ ॥   She is the one who created
the Virat and then Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

इदानीं दृश्यसे ब्राह्मी नारायणी प्रियशङ्करी ।
नमस्तस्यै महालक्ष्म्यै गजमुख्यै नमो नमः ॥ १३ ॥

She is the one who is Braahmi (Saraswati), Narayani (Lakshmi) and
Priyashankari (Parvati).

In this shloka व्यूहतेजोमयी ब्रह्मानन्दिनी हरिसुन्दरी । Lakshmi is stated
to be Harisundari, the consort of Hari. In the verse cited earlier, Lakshmi
is depicted as the creator of the Trimurtis.

Thus, this one Shakti alone assumes all names and forms in creation. The
role of a mother and the role of a consort and many more are all played by
one shakti.

In the Mahabharata we have Shiva depicted as the source, creator, of the
Trimurti-s. In the Vishnupurana we see Janardana assuming all the roles by
taking up the sattva, etc. gunas, of prakruti to be the jagatkaaranam.
Scriptures portray the Shakti too to be the progenitor of everything in
creation, including the Trimurtis. For, the Trimurti-s manifest and go out
of manifestation in each creation cycle.

From the stotra we see that she is non-different from the Lalitha
parameshwari of the LS Naama. Many names are common.

regards
subbu