[Advaita-l] Source of quotes

Sean Geiger seangeiger1991 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 22:58:00 EDT 2019

Ryan,
The Anvaya Vyatireka principle is well documented in Advaita and logic
sources. anvaya means the presence of one thing with another, and vyatireka
means the absence of one thing when the other is absent. For instance, the
logical declaration, "where there is smoke there is fire", can be explained
as the presence of fire wherever smoke is present- anvaya, and the absence
of fire wherever smoke is absent- vyatireka, although in this case, it is
not necessarily true that fire has to be absent when smoke is absent. There
could be smokeless fire. For examples from Advaita, see

http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection&section_id=744

I could not find explanations for your second quote. I hope someone will be
able to explain it.

Best regards,
Sean

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 2:18 AM Ryan Armstrong via Advaita-l <