[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Akilesh Ayyar ayyar at akilesh.com
Wed Mar 27 16:08:34 EDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 7:33 PM Akilesh Ayyar via Advaita-l <

> > the Jnani
> > these
> > the
> > fed,
> >

> The above is not very intelligible to me. As it does not accord to reason.
> What comes out from the above is: The Jnani (his body) does not die in
> 'sahaja samadhi.' What is called 'destruction' of the three states,
> activities, etc. is not physically going out of existence. If they are
> destroyed literally, how can others notice the Jnani active, eating talking
> etc.? Are the onlookers imagining/perceiving only the activities, talking,
> movements etc. of the Jnani or are they also imagining/perceiving the body
> of the Jnani? How can he be said to be unaware of these activities, when
> they happen? Supposing he is in a conversation. The other person asks him
> something and he gives a considered reply which satisfies the other person.
> How can this happen without the Jnani being aware of the conversation?
> Should he not be hearing the question, think of the apt reply and verbalize
> it so that the other person at least hears it? For this, should not the
> Jnani at least modulate his voice to be able to make himself sufficiently
> audible to the other? How is this possible without his being aware of these
> elements of a conversation?  We have seen videos of Bhagavan where he
> walks, does not dash against any obstacle, receives medicine, a glass of
> water, drinks it, sits, etc. How can these happen without his being aware
> of these?

Subrahmanianji,

In fact, the idea of onlookers is also only from the standpoint of
onlookers.

Beginningless ignorance creates the idea of objects and people and
interactions. From this 'standpoint' conversations and so on happen and the
'jnani' interacts in a reasonable way.

But when jnana "dawns," this standpoint is seen to be utterly non-existent.

It is not there as a vyavaharika standpoint as opposed to the paramarthika
standpoint; no -- it cannot be said to be there AT ALL. The very idea that
it ever existed is wrong.

In the light ignorance does not disappear -- it is seen to be that it never
was.

The very notion of all these objects, conversations, and experiences
ultimately depend on language and mental categories of "this" and "that"
that are rooted in the concept of a separate "I"; when that egoic notion is
seen to be a misconception, all these too must fall.

So what then can be said about all these phenomena? It is anirvachaniya, of
course. The question has no answer, and jnana does not answer it, but
rather dissolves the frame of reference in which that question makes sense.

But for the sake of seekers, of course, variations of the relative
standpoint are given, including the one mentioned below in Vivekachudamani.