[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sun May 5 15:17:20 EDT 2019

namaste sudhanshuji
the idea of sarvAlokAbhAva is not as infructuous as it seems. Other posts
too have pointed this out.

The idea is -  are there grades of tamaH ? This question is a legitimate
one. It's common to consider ideas like semi darkness, total darkness,
partial darkness etc. If tamaH is abhAvarUpA, then someone could maintain
that there is less and less tamaH as more and more light sources light up.
And in that case there is *total* nAsha of tamaH *only* when all possible
light sources are present. When just a little light is there then someone
can still possibly maintain that there is partial or semi-darkness which
leads to rajju-sarpa bhrama etc. This idea of gradual lifting of the veil
of darkness (say, at dawn etc) corresponds to definition saying that
darkness (tamaH) is sarva-Aloka-abhAva. (your pratyaxa objection is dealt
with by claiming that darkness is only gradually removed and not *fully*
removed by a photon or two. ) Therefore such a tamaH is therefore removed
only by sarvAloka. And please also note that sarva-Aloka does not hold true
if just a few finite number of alokas are shining. This is the implication
of :
A1 , A2 etc are light sources.
~A1 implies A1 is switched off.

sarvAloka = (A1 AND A2 ...ad infinitum)
~(sarvAloka) = ~A1 OR ~A2 OR .... etc.

Even if one light source is inactive the condition for (sarvAloka) becomes
falsified - so there is sarvAloka-abhAva - and then there is some 'degree'
of darkness - that is the idea in this incremental model of darkness
removal.

 What about pratyaxa? Don't we see that even one light source removes
darkness? No. Not so fast. The counter or answer to this simplistic
pratyaxa objection by a possible supporter of tamaH = sarvAlokAbhAva, would
be that pratyaxa can also be used to say "its so dark in here" even when a
few photons from a zero watt bulb are flying around. The gradual lifting of
darkness at dawn etc., can also be called pratyaxa siddha. So its even
stevens. Its therefore a mere unquestioned assumption to say that a single
light source comprehensively removes all darkness. This is rarely the case
or we could just have a single zero watt bulb in any given room in our
respective residences. No need for so many LEDs and bulbs in a single room,
since darkness is totally destroyed by a little bulb!

So it is an unquestioned assumption that a single (or some n number of)
photon(s) removes darkness - its not pratyaxa सिद्ध. Or even in the early
hours of dawn , we would have to say darkness is totally destroyed. Because
the pratyaxa statement/objection stems from assuming a priori that darkness
is of such and such nature.

Coming back to VPS - it concludes saying that tamaH = sarvAlokAbhAva is
incorrect.  Such a putative definition of tamaH is asambhava and that would
also imply that such a tamaH is never going to be fully destroyed since its
प्रतियोगी viz., sarvAlokA is asambhava.

To sum up.
X is defined as X-abhAva-pratiyogI.
That X which is nothing but X-abhAva-pratiyogI is negated by X-abhAva.
This is the usual nyAya language.

 VPS frames the pUrvapaxa as the following.
Now its tricky, but replace X with tamaH defined as sarvAlokAbhAva
(remember we are analyzing the gradualist model of darkness. )

Then tamaH is only unconditionally and fully negated by
sarvAloka-abhAva-abhAva which is sarvAloka itself.
~~A = A

All this was briefly hinted at in the hindi explanation of the VPS in the
relevant page dealing with the three models of examining whether tamaH can
be abhAva rUpa.

Another related query is - my guess is that our nyAya logicians were smart
enough to know the simple logical syllogism
~(X AND Y) = ~X OR ~Y

But I wonder if there is any reference to it or its application anywhere in
earlier texts?

Apologies if I have repeated myself in this post.

Om
Raghav

On Sat 4 May, 2019, 5:37 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l, <