[Advaita-l] Whether darkness is bhava - Vivarana Prameya Samgraha of Shri Vidyaranya

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 19:36:04 EDT 2019

We are so accustomed to the photon (particle) model that we assume there is
nothing but emptiness or absence of matter and energy in the darkness and
vacuum in space. These older scientific models are themselves challenged
and contradicted by the observation of 'quantum fluctuations' -
"A quantum fluctuation is the temporary appearance of energetic particles
out of empty space, as allowed by the uncertainty principle
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle>."
Even the vacuum of outer space is inherently an existent entity which can
spontaneously create particles literally out of 'thin vacuum.'

Even vacuum is thus not the mere 'absence' of matter and energy.

So far it's just science. Now taking care not to arbitrarily mix science
with Vedanta, we can still reasonably hold that an adhidevatA is revealed
by the upaniSad only for some existent entity, energy or law etc. While the
different indriyas etc have devatAs who govern them there is no devatA for
an atyanta-abhAva entity like a shasha-shRnga.

The above idea may have some relevance to the verse in brihadAraNyaka where
there is mention of the tama abhimAnI devatA.

On Tue 7 May, 2019, 10:07 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l, <