[Advaita-l] Advaithic Question on the Nature of MAYA and Illusory nature of Reality

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:58:53 EDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 5:22 PM Bhaskara v Advaith via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> Tried to answer the question hope it’s satisfactory.
>
> This question has two parts and lets try to answer part by part
>
> Part1: how does maya project Brahman as illusory
>
>            Maya has two properties which are avarana shakti and
>
> Vikshepa shakti. Because of avarana shakti the maya covers
>
> the Brahman and because of Vikshepa shakti maya makes
>
> brahman to appear as something else. When a person is
>
> cognising a object lets say person Rama sees a ball, even through ball is
> brahman but because of maya it appears as ball for Rama. Now where does
> maya operate for Rama to make  appear Brahman as ball, basically to cognise
> any object it will involves mind (for details refer Vedanta Paribasha:
> Pratyaksha pramana) the mind (maya) covers the brahman and makes it to
> appear as ball the buddi(Vignana maya kosha) recognises it has ball.

Namaste.

Sorry the entire understanding is, I think, incorrect. Reference back to
Vedanta Paribhasha is certainly called for. The mental vritti actually is
said to uncover, NOT cover, the Chaitanya/Brahman associated with the
object, ball in this case. When the vikshepa shakti of mAyA projects the
object, ball in this case, it does so along with Chaitanya/Brahman which
remains veiled/concealed (partially). This veiling needs to be removed for
the object to be cognized. This is done by the mental vritti.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>