[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} couple of questions regarding "bramha satyam jagan-mithya"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 23:35:30 EST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Krishna Kashyap <kkashyap2011 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 8:40 AM
Subject: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} couple of questions regarding "bramha satyam
jagan-mithya"
To: <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>

In my bhagavad-gita class, these 2 questions have popped up.

1) The verse brahma-satyam-jagan mithya jivO it seems occurs in only this
work of Sri Shankaracharya:

https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_z_misc_shankara/brahmajna.html?lang=sa

*The 20th verse of Brahmajnanavalimala
<http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_z_misc_shankara/brahmajna.html?lang=sa>:*

ब्रह्म सत्यं जगन्मिथ्या जीवो ब्रह्मैव नापरः ।
अनेन वेद्यं सच्छास्त्रमिति वेदान्तडिण्डिमः ॥ २०॥

Is this the work of Sri Adi-Shankaracharya?

Or a later Shankaracharya?

Does this verse repeat again in any other major work of Sri Shankaracharya.

I felt ashamed that after decades of study, I had not heard of
Bhramhajnanavalimala !!!

I looked into the list of works of Sri Shankaracharya on google.
Out of so many results, I got, I could find this grantha listed only in
this site:

https://www.advaita-vedanta.org//texts/Complete_Works_of_Adishankara.html

2.13   bhramA nanjana vali
mAlA
[21]

Is this work generally acceptable as written by Sri Adishankaracharya? It
should be, since advaita-vedanta.org is a standard advaita website. am I
right?

2) I googled further and found out the explanation given by Sri Mani Dravid
Shastrigal on that subject. Is this explanation pretty much the standard
view of Advaita?

Where can I find sanskrit descriptions of "bramha satyam jaganmitthya"
written by later Shankaracharya lineage acharyas, which can be quoted
universally like prakasatma, or bhamati-kara, or anandagiri or madusudhana
sarasvathi etc?

https://www.arshavidya.in/Newsletter/April18/Brahma-satyam%20Jagan-mithya.pdf

While thanking Sri Krishna Kashyap for the above URL, which is no doubt
very informative, yet I have a question on a particular sentence there:

// Therefore, the jagat becomes ajñāna-vilakṣaṇam, that which is produced
through bhāva-rūpa-ajñāna.//

I request members to comment/clarify/verify the above sentence, especially
the first part there.  Is it 'ajnana vilakshanam' or anything else?

regards

subbu

*Best Regards,*

*Krishna Kashyap*