[Advaita-l] Questions on the blessed Isa Upanishad

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Dec 12 14:28:11 EST 2020

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020, H S Chandramouli wrote:

> Is there any authority for claiming << The term tyaga itself comes from
> karmakanda >> and  << This formula is called tyaga
>   >> ??.  Please cite any references concerning the same. I have not so far
> across any such statements in commentaries or treatises.

That mantra, dravya, and tyaga are the three components of a yaga (or
specifically one ahuti in a yaga or homa) is one of those "everyone knows"
kind of things so I was hard put to find an actual statement to that
effect.  But a bit of googling led to Swami Madhusudana Saraswati in
Gudarthadipika on Bhagavadgita 4.24:

devatoddeshena hi dravyatyAgo yAgaH |

"yAga is defined as relinquishing material accompanied by a call to a
devatA."

The Gita shloka itself shows how Brahman is the foundation of all the
aspects of the yagna.