[Advaita-l] Questions on the blessed Isa Upanishad

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 10:51:11 EST 2020

Namaste.

The references are to some of the observations made by Sri Jaldhar Ji in

Reg  << Some commentators note that, unusually, Ishopanishad is in the
samhita
portion of its shakha (it is the 40th adhyaya of Vajasaneyi Samhita of
Shuklayajurveda) instead of the Brahmana so it is connected to karma in a
way that other upanishads are not >>,

I am not sure if the **commentators**  referred to above refer to advaita
Commentators or to non-advaita Commentators.The Introduction to Isha Up in
the Bhashya of  Sri Bhagavatpada is cited below which clearly states the
Advaita position.

<< ‘ईशा वास्यम्’ इत्यादयो मन्त्राः कर्मस्वविनियुक्ताः, तेषामकर्मशेषस्यात्मनो
याथात्म्यप्रकाशकत्वात् । >>

Translation (Swami Gambhirananda)  << The (Vedic) mantras beginning with
IshAvAsyam (‘ईशा वास्यम्’) have not been utilized in कर्म (karma) (rituals
etc) , for they serve to reveal the true nature of the Self, which is not
an appendage to कर्म (karma) >>.

Reg  << "yAga is defined as relinquishing material accompanied by a call to
devatA." >>,

It is really a stretch to equate this ** relinquishing material** to the
**tyAga** implied in the first verse of  Isa Up. The term may be the same,
but the meanings are entirely different.

Anyway this is only my understanding which happens to be very different
from that of Sri Jaldhar Ji. I am just bringing it out so that other
members can take into consideration the differing viewpoints and arrive at
their own understandings.

Regards