[Advaita-l] Veda Vyasa's consistency across Bhagavata, Vishnu and Shiva Puranas

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Feb 23 03:06:02 EST 2020

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l wrote:

You didn't like it when I called your views asampradayic but what to make
of sentiments such as these?

> Since the epics and puranas state the same tattva
> as taught by the upanishads,a mumukshu who has confined himself to Upanishads
> and Sri Shankara's commentaries

And what is the legitimacy of that when the upanishads themselves refer to
itihasa/purana as the "5th Veda" and Shankaracharya has quoted from them?

> may not  need  any help from other sources like puranas and other texts.
> To read / study other texts will be simply a waste of time and energy.

I am reminded of the story of the Caliph Omar who supposedly ordered the
destruction of the Library of Alexandria saying that "If these books are
opposed to the Quran they are heresy and should be burned. If they confirm
the truth of the Quran they are redundant and it doesn't matter if they
burn."  Needless to say that sort of idea is alien to our dharma.

> He can as well use that time and energy for adyatmayoga

When it is known that Brahman is all, what kind of adhyatmayoga makes
distinctions such as "waste of time and energy"?

You would be on firmer footing if you kept your criticism to shastras that
teach duality but those are not what were being quoted in this case.