[Advaita-l] Have you seen God?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Feb 28 07:16:07 EST 2020

praNAms Sri Anand prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Before you are getting immersed yourself from the bundle to quotes and advices from the advaita scholars of this group..my 2 paisa worth observation to your questions :

My questions:
1. Isn't it natural that when one meets or studies under a teacher, one asks him if he's seen God?

>  If not natural it is legitimate doubt of the student if at all he is approaching the guru specifically for taking his help / guidance to have the darshan of 'God'. But advaita's goal is not 'seeing' the god but realizing the real nature of enquirer that is YOU.

2. Is the traditional view that such a direct question to the Guru is inappropriate?

>  Not at all, a shrotreeya brahmanishta guru never ever say that your questions / doubts are unacceptable or untraditional 😊

3. Are there such exchanges in the Vedanta literature which i possibly haven't yet come across so far? Could you please quote such references if they are available.

>  bhrugur vai vAruNiH...varuNam pitaram upasasAra...taitireeya..he asks his father to teach brahman...nachiketa asks somewhat similar question to yama in katha, yAjnAvalkya answers Atma svarUpa in bruhadAraNyaka.  Kena and prashna shruti-s too helpful.
>  sOpAdhika brahman is apara and good only for upAsana nirupAdhika brahman is jneya brahman who is ultimately nirguNa, niravayava, nirvikAra, nirvishesha, nirAmaya, nirvikalpa etc. So, seeing the god comes under vyAvahArika satya as there duality holds sway...so says saMpradAyavida 😊

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar