[Advaita-l] Trija?

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 16:31:03 EDT 2020

Thanks for posting this. It is easy to grasp.

The three births of a man presented in aitareyopaniSad (dvitIyodhyaya)
is very different. It states the first birth as when he inseminates his
wife and makes her pregnant. Then the second birth is when the child is
born and nourished to take over the role of the man in taking care of
the three debts. Finally the third birth is when he dies and born again
in another womb. These according to the lecture of Ganapatigal is not
about the child, but about three births of the father.   There is
quotation here to "AtmA vai putra nAmAsi" - that the father is verily
born again as the son.  Needless to say, this far more complicated to
understand. The first question that popped in mind was, what then if he
has more children?  Rather than taking it literally probably points to
the goal of having progeny, then raising it, and finally passing on the
next birth after having established the continuity to maintain the
tradition.