[Advaita-l] Request for answers

khaaksaar musafir57 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 01:59:43 EDT 2020

Hari Om, Shri Murthyji and friends, Pranaams!

In our humble opinion, these questions can only be answered,
satisfactorily, from the standpoint of one’s own direct *anubhava*—here and
now—by taking recourse to the Upaniṣad mantras dealing with one’s true
*svarupa*.

Accordingly, to address the central point of these questions, we present
below two such mantras from the *Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad* translated by
Swāmī Mādhavānanda:

3.7.23 …the Internal Ruler, your own immortal self. He is never seen, but
is the Witness; He is never heard, but is the Hearer; He is never thought,
but is the Thinker; He is never known, but is the Knower. There is *no
other witness but Him, no other hearer but Him, no other thinker but Him,
no other knower but Him.* He is the Internal Ruler, your own immortal self.
Everything else but Him is mortal.

The same message is reiterated in the following mantra:

3.8.11  This immutable, O Gargi, is never seen but is the Witness; It is
never heard, but is the Hearer; It is never thought, but is the Thinker; It
is never known, but is the Knower. There is no other witness but This, no
other hearer but This, no other thinker but This, no other knower but This.

Further corroboration can be sought from the *Bṛhadāraṇyaka Upaniṣad*
mantra 3.4.2: You *cannot* see the Witness of the vision, hear the Hearer
of hearing, think the Thinker of thought, know the Knower of knowledge. How
so? Yajñavalkaya says you cannot *see* the Witness because it is the
witnessing principle itself, and so forth.

In this regard, Shankara’s commentary on Kena Upanisad 2.4 is also
worthwhile to explore: *nānyat dvāram ātmano vijñānāya*: There is no other
door to Its awareness. (Gambhirananda’s trans.). This is the uplabhadhi
dvaram उपलभ्धि द्वारं....

The whole thing boils down to *intuiting* who is the knower, who is the
seer, who is the illuminor (*prakashaka*) of these. It is the *chaitanya
vastu*, the Self, the ever-present witnessing consciousness, the substratum
of all empirical dealings.

In *A**̄**gma Prakaran**̣**a* 12th Karika, we find: *turyaṃ tat sarva druk
sadā*: Turīya is ever existent and ever all seeing (Nikhalananda, trans.).
When this truth is known, says GK 1.7(18), duality ceases to exist-- ज्ञाते
द्वैतं न विद्यते

नान्यः पन्था विद्यतेऽयनाय॥ *nānyaḥ panthā vidyate'yanāya*, says the
Svetasvatarupanishad 3.8: There is no other path.

Srigurucharansarojrajaratah,

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 6:05 PM sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l <