[Advaita-l] Shankara Digvijaya Sara - part 31

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jun 12 01:46:06 EDT 2020

199| vādivratagajendradurmadaghaṭādurgarvasaṅkarṣaṇaśrīmacchaṅkaradeśikendramṛgarāḍāyāti sarvārthavit |
dūraṁ gacchata vādiduḥśaṭhagajāḥ sannyāsadaṁṣṭrāyudho vedāntoruvanāśrayastadaparaṁ dvaitaṁ vanaṁ bhakṣati ||60||

199. [His disciples told the public] The elephant-like debaters, their
foreheads oozing the musk of arrogance, quail in terror on hearing the
roar of the lion Śrīmad Śhaṅkara the King of Teachers, the all-knowing.
Flee far elephants of opposing theories! He fights with the sharp teeth of
sannyāsa.  Making his home in the great forest of Vedānta, he hunts in the
forest of duality.(60)

200| saṁśrāvayanndhvani deśikendraḥ śrīdakṣiṇadvārabhuvaṁ prapede |
kavāṭamuddhāṭya niveṣṭukāmaṁ sasambhramaṁ vādigaṇo nyarautsīt ||62||

200. While hearing this noise, the King of Teachers went to open the
southern door.  Then a crowd of debaters obstructed him with the intent to
prevent him from opening the door so hastily.(62)

201| athābravīdvādigaṇaḥ sa deśikaṁ kimarthamevaṁ bahusambhramakriyā |
yadatra kāryaṁ tadudīryatāṁ śanairna sambhramaḥ kartumalaṁ tadīpsitam ||63||

201. The crowd of debaters said to the Teacher, “For what purpose are you
doing this act in such a hurry? Nothing should be done in haste, only with
due deliberation.”(63)

202| yaḥ kaścidetyetu parīkṣituṁ cetvedākhilaṁ nāviditaṁ mamāṇu |
itthaṁ  bhavānvakti samunnatīccho datvā parīkṣāṁ vrajadevatālayam ||64||

“Sir you say ‘anyone may test me.  I know the entire Vedas. There is not
an atoms worth of knowledge I do not know.’ Oh Desirer of Success, take
the test and you may enter this temple.”