[Advaita-l] mUlAvidyA in sUta samhita

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 05:19:10 EDT 2020

Namaste Subbu ji
An incidental observation which to me was significant is that the Patanjali
yoga sutra 2.3 regarding 'avidyA asmitA rAga dveSha abhiniveSha kleshAH' is
similar to the avidyA kAma karma causal chain in bhAShya as per the 14th
century tAtparya-dIpikA of unknown authorship.

I used to notice the similarity even before between bhAShya and pAtanjala
yoga sUtra 2.3 , but none of the bhAShyas and vRttis on this sUtra (2.3)
indicated any causal chain of connexion between avidyA and asmitA etc.
(They seemed to treat them all at the same kevel).)

Nevertheless yukti says that the bhAShya idea of avidyA being the cause for
kAma which in turn leads to karma is compatible with the interpretation of
the pAtanjala idea of avidyA causing asmitA (limited individuality or
'egoity'), which in turn leads to desires to find fullness i.e., rAga and
dveSha whose nonfulfillment leads to abhiniveSha. (which prima facie is
'fear of death' but can very well represent all manner of complex emotions,
anxieties and worries.)

So this traditional reference given by you is helpful to assert the
similarity between the two texts viz., bhAShya and yoga-sUtras.

Om
Raghav

On Mon, 29 Jun, 2020, 6:50 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <