[Advaita-l] Brahma's son incarnates as Shiva's son - Sanatkumara-Skanda

venkata raman venkataramans at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:40:48 EDT 2020

Arunachalam
Namaskaram
 Appears like what is being looked for:
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/11298/what-scriptures-describe-brahmas-son-sanatkumara-being-reborn-as-shivas-son-ka

Arunachalam
<https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/posts/11353/timeline>

The 37th Chapter of the Mahatmya Kanda of the Tripura Rahasya details the
story of Sanatkumara incarnating as Kartikeya.

Lord Dattatreya relates the story of Lord Muruga to Parashurama, listening
to which Parashurama asks Dattatreya:

Kathamesha Mahabhagah Skandah Tam Asuresvaram|
Jitavaan Shivavishnvendra-Durjeyamapi Samyuge|| (37.78)

"O Lord, how was this greatly fortunate Skanda able to conquer the king of
Asuras , who was undefeatable by even Shiva, Vishnu and Indra in battle?"

To which Dattatreya replied that Lord Sanat-kumara, the son of Brahma was
ever peaceful and content with himself. He dwelt on the Mountain named
Rshabha. Once, Lord Brahma arrived to meet his son, and Sanatkumara related
a dream he had seen, of a great battle between the devas and asuras.

Yuddhamaseet Mahabhimam Asuranam Tatha Amaraih|
Tatra Sarve Maya Yuddhe Nihataah Balavattaraah|| (37.85)
Asuraas Tat Kathamidam *Nirhetukam* Abhut Vada|

"O Father, I saw a dream, of a great war between the asuras and the devas.
I saw myself slaying all the formidable asuras in the war. I want to know
how such a *baseless* thing could happen!"

Lord Brahma replied that in a past life, Sanatkumara had been a Brahmana,
who having heard the account of the battle between Devas and Asuras, had
vowed to defeat all the asuras and return prosperity to the devas, with the
fire as his witness. But he attained his death before he could fulfil his
vow, so instead of getting Moksha, he incarnated as Brahma's son
Sanatkumara. Brahma also told him that whatever he had seen in the dream
would actually take place.

When Sanatkumara asked Brahma how this was possible, Brahma told him that
Sanatkumara himself would decide how this would take place, and returned to
Brahmaloka.

As Sanatkumara meditated on this statement, Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati
passed by his hermitage. Seeing his composed face, Parvati (who had not
seen Sanatkumara before as she was newly married) asked Lord Shiva who he
was. When Shiva told her about Sanatkumara, she expressed her wish to meet
him.

When both Mahadeva and Girija reached the hermitage, Sanatkumara didn't
notice them. After waiting for a long time, Mahadeva decided to test
Sanatkumara and flew into a rage. He scolded Sanatkumara saying that his
conduct did not befit him, the son of Brahma. When Sanatkumara was
addressed thus, he opened his eyes and said, "I won't be frightened by your
curses, nor will I be excited by your boons. I have conquered both fear and
excitement, thus you cannot make me react in any way, either ordinary or
extra-ordinary."

When he had replied thus, Mahadeva was pleased and asked him to seek a
boon. Sanatkumara laughed and said,

"Saadhayasva Mahadeva Esha Me Kaankshito Varah|| (37.118)
Maayavinam Maheshaana Naaham Vepayitum Kshamah|
Mahavaatair-Ivaakasham Bruhi Te Yadi Vaanchitam||(37.119)

"O Great Lord, Mahadeva, I cannot be agitated by illusions or illusionists,
just like hurricanes cannot disturb the sky. Therefore, I seek this boon
that, if *you* have any wish, you may seek it from *me*."

Upon hearing this, Mahadeva said 'Om' and continued,

Yadi Dasyasi Me Kamam Prateeccha Mama Putrataam|| (37.120)
"If you shall grant my wish, then become my son!"

Sanatkumara smiled and said, "I shall become your son, but *only yours*,
because Parvati Devi hasn't asked this boon of me!"

Parvati immediately argued that since the wife was entitled to half of her
husband's fortunes and misfortunes, she also was entitled to being his
mother. Sanatkumara consented and said, "When Bhasmasura had sought the
boon to turn anyone to ashes, and tired it on Shiva, he had disappeared,
hearing about which you had become aggrieved and turned into a forest of
reeds. I shall incarnate into *that body* of yours; hence you will be my
mother."

So saying, Lord Sanatkumara granted them leave, and was born as their son,
in the lake (Poigai in Tamil), in the forest of reeds, Sharavanam. Thus he
became Lord Muruga.